I’m Iris, your friendly neighbourhood bookworm who hates writing About Me pages. (To the degree that I put off rewriting my cringy old one for… over a year.)(Yes I know I’m the worst.)
Aside from the fact that I hate writing About Me pages, what else do you need to know about me?
- I (obviously) love to read.
- I’m very shy, but also will explode if I don’t get enough contact with other human beings. (It’s a bad combo).
- Despite said shyness, I love to act and public speak and basically anything that will get me onstage. (And also somehow have almost zero stage fright. Because logic. I can barely have a conversation with another human being, but then you put me onstage in front of 150+ people and I’m just fine. I know. I am a strange human being.)
- Especially acting. I really really like acting. I want to do more acting. (I’m writing this while I don’t have any shows going on and I MISS IT.)
- I use far too much italics/ALL CAPS/underlining/etc. And also far too many dot dot dots… (and brackets) And you get the idea. I just can’t help myself and I feel like it’s really annoying but also I don’t know how else to type 🙈
- I’m just in general a goofy human being. My blog is mostly silly and fun (for me at least, hopefully it is for you too!), because I’m sort of incapable of not getting distracted and rambling about random, irrelevant, silly things.
- I’m fifteen years old. (Almost sixteen! Somehow!)(Literally how? I don’t understand.)
- I’ve been homeschooled all my life. (And I plan to continue homeschooling.
Since this is a book blog, I figure I should talk about books a bit. Namely, my taste in books, favourites, etc.
I read mostly YA, with a smattering of MG and adult books thrown in there once in a while. Genre-wise, I tend to gravitate towards contemporary and fantasy, and away from thrillers and dystopian, but honestly I’ll read just about any genre if it sounds interesting.
What I Look For In Books:
- Characters! Characters are basically all I care about in books, and if the characters are good enough, all I need is decent writing and a mediocre plot, and I’ll be just fine. (Okay more specifically now lol)
- Messy families that love each other when they aren’t trying to murder each other.
- Stabby morally grey characters who you can’t help but love.
- Dragons. Give me all the dragon books please.
- Hate to love romance, aka my favourite romance trope ever.
- Friends that are always there for each other and love each other and are ideally not secondary to the love interest.
- Badass women.
- Banter sass and sarcasm.
- All the feels! If a book can’t make me feel something, it’s probably not worth reading for me.
- Also most importantly I need the books I read to be diverse, or else I will most likely want to chuck said undiverse book across the room. Which I won’t because it’s also most likely a library book, and therefore I can’t chuck it across the room and damage it. But I’ll be mentally chucking it across the room, trust me.
My Favourite Books/Series
And of course what is an About Me page without a list of my favourite books?? (Probably perfectly normal but shut up I do what I want.)
- Six of Crows. One of my all time favourites series that I will shriek about forever! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!
- Shades of Magic. Another series I love with all my heart and will shriek about forever! These characters OWN MY HEART.
- Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. I just love this fluffy sweet adorable book SO MUCH. It’s the sweetest and the cutest and I love the characters soooooo much!
- Monsters of Verity. Another Schwab book! Surprise surprise! (Hehehe, guess who my favourite author is??) I don’t love this one quite as much as ADSOM, but it’s still definitely a favourite and I love it!!!
- Shadowhunters. These books aren’t necessarily the highest quality but also I don’t care and I love them and the characters are perfection. LOVE! THEM!
- Seraphina/Tess of the Road. These books are just so good? And I love them? And they deserve twelve million times more hype? Because they’re AMAZING!
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue/The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy. These books are SO GOOD and I am OBSESSED and I will SCREAM ABOUT THEM FORVER. The characters are just my absolute favourites!
- Radio Silence. This book was SO GOOD? And totally not what I was expecting? AND I LOVE IT. And also it was just like the most stressful book I’ve ever read but it was SO WORTH IT.
- Heartstopper. This webcomic is the CUTEST and I NEED THE NEXT UPDATE RIGHT NOW. No matter when you read this I will NEED THE NEXT UPDATE RIGHT NOW, because I am in a constant state of NEEDING THE NEXT UPDATE RIGHT NOW.
So that’s me in a nutshell. A very big nutshell because this About Me page is somewhat longer than I expected (and than it needed it to be), but a nutshell nonetheless. Ummm… now that just sounds weird. Why did I use that expression in the first place??? I should never have used that expression. I’m just going to shut up now.